Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cried all night till there was nothing more

So I watched Pulp Fiction last night. I really wanted to like it more than I did, but in the end things have gone mostly nowhere. Vince gets the most screen time I think and we know he is going to die to Butch later. Butch just gets away after a crazy day, but his story is more like "Oh look at this crazy day I had" and nothing special. Nothing really happens with Mia, I mean, she almost dies, but then she is all better and it doesn't seem like anything happened to change her and she never really comes back into play. That leaves Jewels, who I guess is the one character that is trying to do something, but it isn't enough to justify a whole movie. Also, since you know they both show up at the bar later to see Butch and the fat man you know they can't fail for the whole last chapter of the film, which sorta nullifies any tension that would be there. I am sure my argument could be countered by someone who knows the film better than me, I was pretty damn tired, but that is how I felt afterwards. On a good note, it was entertaining to watch the whole time. I had planned on going to sleep half way through and finishing today, but I saw it through to the end.

Also, Pulp Fiction has lot of violence in every story, people are always getting shot on screen or raped or something. I mention this only because it was as I had expected and is not quite in line with Jackie Brown, where they don't even show her pulling a gun on an intruder but rather have the scene in total darkness. There is a real difference in the treatment of violent action in that film in my opinion, maybe Reservoir Dogs will change my view, but I doubt it.

Finally I watched Goodfellas the other day and concluded that I can't watch any more mob movies for a while. It was good, but I just have seen too damn many gangster films recently and they are all starting to blend into each other, though Goodfellas ends much happier than they do normally.

No comments: