Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Time gets us all

“I have poured the message of love and peace and happiness in Space Channel 5. These were the emotions and desires of this game.” -Tetsuya Mizuguchi

The quote above I pulled from a Grand Text Auto post and placed here simply because I love Space Channel 5. More games should be about awesome dancing and silly songs rather than evil daemons and such.

I have been trying to get things back in shape at home, but the slow internet has not been helping at all. I have some more GDC photos for the upload half of my connetion is doing better. Here are a few things I picked up a GDC. This is more of a reminder to myself so when I am not doing any of these things in I weak I will understand the depth of my failure.

The number one thing I learned from GDC is that in order to become a game developer the best thing you can do is make games. Other things can help, but at some point you have to make some games. Part of this is going to be sacrifice, you have to find something you want to do so much you can just dump everything else and dedicate the forseeable future to realizing that idea.

One thing I heard often at GDC was that completion was key. Basiscally, a finished crappy game is better than a half-done good game. This isn't exactly news to me, but hearing that from people who are doing the work I wish was I doing is a bit more motivating than the nagging little voice in my head that says it is NOT time to lay around all afternoon.

Another thing I observed is that completion can take time, lots of time. A small game project with 1-2 people could take a a year, but sometimes that is just what it takes. I have just been afraid to start on a project I know could take months, but seeing the results of others work makes me think such endevors are worth the commitment.

Taking these into mind, I hope to have Jimson and the Jazz Crabs updates ~soon, it depends on how good Hellgate London turns out to be. There just never is enough damn time!

No comments: