Monday, March 24, 2008

When we die, We go into the arms of those who remember us

I have been thinking about the relation of words to gaming since I my last post. Well not just gaming, really any creative effort. Our thoughts are organized by words, our ideas expressed in them, even if the expression never extends beyond our own internal monologue. This makes me wonder, can something be created which does not originate in language? What would a mind be like without words to order to stimulous? It seems to me that a in order to paint free of words you would have to paint images that I could not name perhaps.

I am not sure where I am going with this.

When I was a kid Fred would hold up a pencil or some other thing and ask me what it was. Of course, I would respond that it was a pencil and he would laugh and tell me that was just a name, a word, and a word is nothing more than an idenifier for a block of meaning. There are many people named Seth in the word, but I am different from all the others, as they are from me, though we have the same name. According to him the pencil was just an object that existed exactly as it was, to define it or name it only allowed us to approximate its meaning. Or something like that, I was a kid.

Once, I was on the freeway late at night and almost got hit by some crazy car in LA. Probably drunk. At the time "Inflatable" was playing by Bush on the radio and I remember thinking that it would be strange to die in the violent tumbult of two cars crashing into each other while such a sad, peaceful song played. I don't know why I remember that.

It seems this has all gone nowhere relevant to games. I tried, but got lost somewhere back there. Ill try again tomorrow maybe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's some introspective shit to drop on a kid. It almost makes me want to have a kid so I can screw with it.

Anonymous said...

If you're interested in that stuff, deconstruction does alot with that. Check out Jacques Derrida.