Thursday, April 3, 2008

I was fool, couldn't let myself to go

Today I will be running down a list of backlogged items that never made it to the internet over the last week. Before I get going though, I have to note that today's title is not a typo, and not from this Beck, but this one. That video sucks but it is the best I cound find.

Anyway to business! I watched Run Lola Run the other day (Again) and still really like that movie. What I think is really awesome is that they work the world into one preset, fixed state and then run though three possible outcomes that could come from that starting point. Each time they establish that the pre-conditions are the same and then show how the different actions of Lola change the world around here. Everything else is constant but Lola, she causes ripples that not only determine the post-conditions of her story but the side characters as well. At the beginning of the movie fred noted that it seemed like something based on a game. I laughed at him and was like 'HO HO HO Fred, no there is no Run Lola Run video game." When I watched the movie though, I kept thinking how it was just like one of my Authored Worlds for interactive fiction. A game that consisted of a few city blocks all preset that the player could then interact with in interesting ways and also see what happens to NPCs dude to his/her actions would be pretty awesome. I had more to say when I started this but I have forgotten since. Damn it.


My next idea was for a program/plugin that would add tags to a book manuscript for each scene and for characters and such. It would provide a way to see when characters first appear, show all their scenes and let you reorder them like clips in a movie or something. The best way to do this would be a plugin for Word or something but I am not sure if it is possible. The key would be allowing the addition of tags without having to write markup in the actual document. I suppose it could be stripped out later, but I would not want it here changing my page counts and stuff. Anyway, it seemed like a cool idea so I wrote it down and now have posted it.

Somewhere in there I had a dream where Johnguydude was the leader of a church that met in an old railroad station from the 1800's and he wore a bowler hat and suspenders. I don't know what part of the larger dream narrative it served, but I made sure to rememeber that little bit.

Finally, I have been addicted to reading Questionable Content since last monday. This is where the image above comes from. The first comics have sad art, but it gets way better every few hundred.

3 comments:

AlwaysAwake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AlwaysAwake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...

"Even zo i feeeeru, Zee eeeeend"

Oh full moon sway... is there anything your wisdom can't teach us?