Thursday, February 28, 2008

Love, it's who you know

Speaking of love in games, there is an awesome little demo that was shown at GDC for a game called Love. Rock Paper Shotgun has some impressions up, but, really, just look at the screen shots. I fully support any effort to create unqiue visuals in gaming. Creating renders which draw 3d worlds as if they were painted has been possible for some time, see NPRQuake for an example. Once I was talking with my mother about art and she mentioned that in school she was facinated with strange 3d shapes, as reflected by most of her pottery. This, of course, lead to me ranting about how within games we have very few restrictions on what games worlds are made of, and yet spend all this time making boring realisic visuals. I told her, imagine we took one of these pots and you could run around the surface solving a puzzle or exploring a small world (Think Super Mario Galaxy), and I think she actually thought that was pretty cool. Anyway, go look at the pretty pictures and join me in hoping this sees release and is awesome.

No comments: